Compassionate acne treatment available in Calgary, AB
Acne blemishes are more than your complexion. It can trigger adolescent teasing, spoil an important date, or shake your confidence in the Board room. Without effective treatment, acne can also leave you with permanent scarring. At Vanguard Medical & Aesthetic Clinic in Calgary, AB, our team helps patients of all ages enjoy clearer complexions.
You may not realize it, but hair covers most of your body. Each hair grows from a follicle, a sack of connective tissues in the skin. Follicles contain sebaceous glands that lubricate growing hair shafts. Even the cleanest individuals also have microscopic bacteria on their skin. Acne is inflammation and infection that occurs when hair follicles become clogged with excess oil. Sebum traps dead skin cells, plugging follicles even more. Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) thrive in these conditions, producing acidic excretions that irritate follicles.
The tendency to develop acne can be an inherited trait. Hormonal fluctuations may increase oil production and sensitize the skin, so acne flareups may occur:
- At puberty
- During menstruation
- When pregnant
- Just before or during menopause
- In reaction to emotional stress
- In response to medical conditions, medications (such as anabolic steroids), or certain therapies
Tailored acne treatment in Calgary, AB
Our doctors begin with a thorough examination of your skin. The doctor reviews the medical and family history and asks questions about lifestyle habits, diet, and cosmetics you use. Then a customized treatment plan is designed, to relieve active breakouts and keep acne under control.
Your personalized clear skin strategy may include a combination of treatments such as:
- Topical medication – Containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or retinol
- Antibiotics – Topical or oral, to reduce bacteria and inflammation
- Oral retinoids – Derivatives of vitamin A, for severe or cystic acne
- Hormone therapy – To re-balance the endocrine system
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy – Photo facials reduce the population of P. acnes microbes on the skin and alleviate redness associated with acne
- Microneedling or microdermabrasion – Effective in smoothing even old acne scarring
- Skincare products – The doctor guides you to a daily skin care regimen appropriate for your skin type and lifestyle
Anyone can develop blemishes; either gender and at any age. However, with professional acne treatment at Vanguard Medical & Aesthetic Clinic in Calgary, AB minimizes the embarrassment and reduces the risk of permanent scarring. Call (403) 250-9509 to find out how good clear skin feels.