Patients in Calgary, AB are discovering the many magnificent benefits of PRP treatments
PRP (platelet-rich plasma) is an injectable substance which is naturally produced by your own body. It offers many wonderful benefits including healing, improved skin and hair quality, and more! Dr. Folake Pepple and her team at Vanguard Medical & Aesthetic Clinic are offering this beneficial treatment to patients in the Calgary, AB area and are seeing incredible results!
Patients are discovering PRP
Plasma, a component of your blood containing special proteins, helps your blood to naturally clot. These same proteins also promote cell growth and can be extracted from your blood supply and concentrated for PRP treatments. These treatments involve injections of the PRP into damaged tissues with the purpose of growing new, healthy cells.
Cosmetic purposes for PRP injections
Dr. Pepple utilizes PRP injections for several cosmetic reasons including skin and hair treatment. A PRP skin treatment will stimulate collagen production and promote cellular turnover to:
- Tighten skin
- Improve skin quality
- Improve and brighten a dull complexion
- Improve skin elasticity following cosmetic surgery
In addition, PRP injections can be used to supply blood to your hair follicles, resulting in new hair growth for patients looking for a thicker, fuller head of hair.
The wonders of PRP injection
PRP is being used throughout the medical world for several groundbreaking treatments. PRP injections have been used across several applications including:
- Hair loss: When injected into the scalp, PRP can promote thicker, fuller hair growth and has been shown as an effective treatment for androgenic alopecia.
- Tendon Injuries: When PRP is injected into these tough, thick bands of tissue that are normally quite slow in healing after an injury, the healing process has shown to be accelerated. Chronic tendon problems can include tennis elbow, Achilles tendonitis and jumper’s knee.
- Acute injuries: Pulled hamstrings and knee sprains have shown to be reactive to PRP injections with healing occurring at a more rapid rate.
- Postsurgical repair: Doctors have begun to use PRP injections in a post-operating manner in order to accelerate healing in procedures dealing with tendons and ligaments.
- Osteoarthritis: Studies have been performed which suggest that PRP, when injected into the knees of patients suffering from osteoarthritis, has shown to be more effective than traditional hyaluronic acid injections.
As you can see, the benefits of a PRP injection reach across a multitude of medical applications. What’s more, with this treatment still being a relatively recent discovery, new applications for the future are still being studied.
The PRP treatment
Because PRP comes from your own blood, it’s risk free. This means that your body will not have any adverse reaction to it or reject it. For the treatment, blood is extracted and then, using a centrifuge, the platelets are separated from your blood supply before being re-introduced into your skin via injections. Minimal reactions to this re-introduction can include minor swelling, redness or bruising. All of these are temporary and fade very quickly. These treatments are incredibly quick also, often taking no more than 45 minutes.
If you are looking for healthier looking skin or a fuller head of hair, you should consider PRP injections. Dr. Folake Pepple would love to go over the procedure with you and answer any questions you may have about it. To set up a consultation, please call (403) 250-9509 today!